Upcycle a common household item into a watering can that your child will love!
You will need:
An empty 2 litre milk bottle, hammer and small nails, textas.
- Thoroughly wash the bottle in hot soapy water to ensure all milk residue has been removed
- Hammer holes into the lid using a small nail (the smaller the nail, the finer the spray). Ensure that you are hammering on a safe surface such as a chopping board. Older children may be able to help with this part with close supervision.
- Add a hole to the top of the bottle (near the handle is best) to help the water flow through easier
- Invite your child to decorate their watering can using textas. Make sure the bottle is dry or the ink will not stay!
- Fill bottle with water and put the lid on – your watering can is now ready to use!
Promote learning by:
collecting rainwater to use in the watering, talk to children about water being a precious resource, ask your child to take care of a particular plant, encourage children not to waste water.