This recipe gets a big tick from our children and is one of our most loved lunches at Nido. Helpful hint: our Nido cooks suggest replacing beef with lentils for Meat Free Mondays!
Service 4 - 6
- 1.5 cups brown rice
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 500g beef mince or lentils
- ½ diced onion
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 cup of spinach
- ½ capsicum, sliced
- 1 tin drained cannellini beans (400g)
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 grated carrots
- ½ sliced cucumber
- Cook the rice and quinoa as per packet instructions.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion and garlic and sautee for 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, paprika, coriander and oregano and stir through.
- Add the mince and cook over a low – medium heat until browned.
- Add the capsicum, celery and cannellini beans and stir to combine. Add a little water and cook for 10 – 15 minutes (until the vegetables are soft).
- Stir through the spinach and yoghurt and heat through.
- Combine the rice and quinoa and divide among serving platters. Top with the mince mixture and serve with bowls of grated carrot, cucumber and cheese for the children to self-serve
Promote Learning By
- 0-12 months: chatting with your child as you prepare this meal, exposing them to lots of lovely language!
- 1-3 years: asking children to help you find the ingredient from the recipe or identify the colour of the ingredient
- 3-5 years: depending on their ability, children can help to measure, pour, stir and serve this meal